Holly Pierce is interested in pursuing a Masters in Social Work at CSU Sacramento (Sac State) and makes plans to attend and information session. She specifically wants to find out what counts as pre-professional work experience. This case follows Holly’s trajectory as a re-entry student and single mother and her strategy to finance her education and take care of her daughter. The case can be helpful for thinking through time management issues, financing an undergraduate degree and how to turn volunteer and pro bono experience into a career.
Teaching case: Holly Pierce: The Importance of an Information Session
Questions to consider as you read the case:
- Many professional degree programs hold information sessions. These are valuable ways to find out more about a program and learn details that will help you when you assemble the materials for your application. If a session is not available, how could you find the same information?
- There are search engines on this website for both the UC and CSU systems that make it easy to search for similar programs at all campuses. Do you know where to find these search engines?
- What kinds of scholarships and funding are available outside of the university?
- What kind of experience counts as pre-professional work and how can you find opportunities to work in your field of interest?
- What is the best way for you to balance your time between work, school and planning for the future?