Hen Werner has just completed the Teacher credential program at the UC Davis School of Education. The program is structured so that most students move on to obtain a Masters degree after they have finished the credential and are in their first year of teaching. The Masters degree classes are held on Saturday twice a month. But Hen has two small children and she is concerned about spending more time away from them. In this case you will learn a great deal about the requirements and structure of a teacher credential program and the case will also help you think about the values and risks of a graduate education and what kinds of questions you should ask of any program.
Teaching case: HenWerner: Taking Educational Risks for the Future
Questions to consider as you read the case:
- What kind of career options did Hen consider and what questions did she ask about potential employment?
- What were the pre-requisites for the teacher credential program? Where would you find the pre-requisites for any given program?
- How does Hen contextualize her foster care experience in her Statement of Purpose? What is the overall narrative theme?
- What are the different issues that Hen needs to consider as she weighs her decision to complete the Masters degree?
- What is the salary difference (Step 1) between a Class A teacher with a BA and a Class E teacher with a BA and 45 units including an MA?