Eric Lehman decides to apply to a Masters degree program when he doesn’t gain admission to a PhD program. Will this help him if he decides to move on and re-apply for a PhD in the future? This case raises issues about how many advanced degree programs you should apply to in order to ensure successful admission and if getting a Masters degree prior to a PhD is helpful. You will also learn about important financial considerations if you are starting your academic career at the community college level.
Teaching case: Eric Lehman: The Advanced Degree Trajectory
Questions to consider as you read the case:
- Applying for scholarships can help with your tuition. What are some additional benefits that are a part of the scholarship application process?
- What various components of the graduate school application are described in the case?
- How can you find out whether you should apply for a Masters degree or a PhD?
- How many programs should you apply to if you want make sure you will gain acceptance for the following academic year?
- What important advice is Eric given about using the Cal Grant at the community college?