Cliff Ching wants to show his aptitude for medical school and also demonstrate a skill set that goes beyond grades and MCAT scores. Gathering substantial pre-professional experience through the UCLA Mobile Clinic helped solidify Cliff’s interest in medical school and directed his focus to helping the underserved. This subject matter gives him an excellent sources of material for his personal statement. The case provides basic information about the medical school application process and postbaccalaureate programs, as well as other information pertinent to students who are interested in a medical career.
Questions to consider as you read the case:
- What options can you pursue if you are not accepted to medical school? Where would you find information about postbaccalaureate programs?
- What are the steps involved in applying to medical school?
- What kind of volunteer or pre-professional experience should you get if you want to pursue a medical career?
- What kind of information should go into your personal statement?
- Where can you find advice and help with your medical school application?