Cindy Preto has combined her interest in wine-making and vineyards with a passion for studying insects. Her ultimate goal is to become a consultant on vineyard pests. Although she already has a project set up for her graduate studies, Cindy thinks another focus might be a better fit. The case provides an excellent example of a student who is following her passion into an interesting graduate degree. Cindy wants to ensure that her work sustains her interest and provides a launching pad into her chosen career.
Teaching case: Cindy Preto: Following your Interests and Passions
Questions to consider as you read the case:
- What are the factors that have influenced Cindy’s graduate school path?
- What has influenced your career choices and graduate school interests?
- Have you explored research opportunities on your campus? Are there special programs for students who are first generation?
- Have you talked with a professor or graduate student about your career goals and asked for advice or mentoring?
- Do you know other resources on campus where you can do career exploration?