Ashley started her undergraduate career as a biology major but soon decided to switch to a discipline for which she had more passion, English literature. Transferring from CAL State LA to Hemet Junior College and then to the University of California, Riverside, Ashley finally decides that teaching high school English is a good career fit. She talks to education professors and teachers to get a good sense of the field and is certain she will be admitted to the UCR program. Then she finds out that UC Davis had an interesting program that offered student teaching in the first quarter and also a tuition scholarship. Is it worth the move to Northern California to attend graduate school?
Teaching case: Ashley De Medio-Meroth: Moving for the Right Opportunity
Questions to consider as you read the case:
- What are the different ways to decide on a career path?
- It’s a good idea to get an understanding of the day-to-day activities in any given job. How did Ashley decide on teaching as a career and who did she talk with?
- What kind of jobs did Ashley take on during her undergraduate career and what are the pros and cons of working?
- How would you talk with a significant other if you decided you wanted to move for graduate school?
- What kinds of information will you learn at a graduate school information session?